Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cinque Terre Magnified!



The Cinque Terre is a group of five coastal villages in Italy located on the Italian Riviera. While traveling and hiking among these five villages, I decided to take a closer look at the composition of the villages through textures. In Monterosso (reading from top left to right), I found an interesting texture among a palm tree. I thought that it was neat that all these strands form this protective skin for the tree. Hiking from Monterosso to Vernazza there were several wooden doors leading to homes or passage ways. This particular texture was intriguing because you are able to see the age of the door because of the peeling paint and splintering wood. After Vernazza, I hiked to Corniglia. On this walk I was amazed at the various cacti around the area. I found this one particularly interesting because not only does the plant create a texture by physical characteristics, but also by color. In Manarolo, the architecture of the buildings give interesting textures. The structure, in this particular texture, was composed of brick with concrete on top. This was amazing to view from far away and close up giving the architecture various depths. In Riomaggiore, I took a closer look at stone upon arrival. The stone was receiving angled sunlight and the multitude of colors within the stone became evident. In viewing more closely I found that each color had a different texture to it. The lighter areas were smoother and the darker areas became more rigid. By "magnifying" each villages, I was able to magnify my experience. One truly starts to appreciate all the small textures that form a village.

No comments: