Sunday, September 2, 2007

Helvetica



Most people are unaware of the fact that the type faces we encounter on a day-to-day basis are an outward expression of ones self and are chosen as a conscious decision. The truth is that typography, the art and technique of type design, surrounds us everyday. The signs that we see, the text that we read, typography is inescapable. I recently saw the documentary Helvetica, a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. Its message was that of the importance and effects that typography (notably Helvetica) has on our lives. After seeing Helvetica, I became acutely more aware of my surroundings and the visual impact they had on my life. Here in Genova, I was not surprised to see that Helvetica (the font) had made its way into the hearts of many, but surprised at the fact that the typography (on signs, storefronts, etc.) didn't appear to follow any sort of guidelines or have to meet any standards. In Italy, diversity and strength of character is a quality that is embraced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caroline,

Cool~thanks for teaching me something that I didn't know!

Monday night here. Your Clemson game is on, we are watching it. Clemson is up by 7 points~it is the first quarter!

Enjoy your trip!

Love, Lori OConnor