Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Walls of Cheese


Parmigiano Reggiano: A Parmesan Cheese Making Facility
Reggio Emilia, Italy

“Never manufactured, always hand-made” is the facilities slogan.
Parmigiano-Reggiano has over eight centuries of history along with the Italian P.D.O. (protected designation of origin) certification and is the only cheese that is 100 % guaranteed “Parmesan”. I can’t say that I have ever seen so much cheese in one place. The smell was overwhelming in general; to me the smell was revolting because of the time it takes to mature a wheel of cheese, which is typically 1 to 6 years per wheel. It takes 600 liters of milk to make one wheel. Each wheel has to be cleaned daily, which must be done by hand and is a tedious process when looking at these massive walls of cheese.
If you are a cheese fanatic like me or most of my classmates, I suggest you visit
www.parmigiano-reggiano.it. Beware if you buy cheese, it may mold if not refrigerated. It also may become another souvenir to drag around and an issue of space in luggage during tours.

No comments: