Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nice est Nice


A little piece of my heart

I love France. I always have.

In high school, I took French as my foreign language. My mother, a French major in college, had established for me from an early age an appreciation for France; my studies only increased my passion for the culture, language, and people. In class, I would often dream about the adventures I would make for myself in Lyon, Paris, and Provence but it seemed too far away to imagine.

My dream finally came true this weekend when I went to Nice (on the Côte d'Azur) and any expectations I might have had about France were far exceeded. I walked around in a continual state of joy, with a huge, goofy grin on my face, and my heart a pitter-pattering. Everything was perfect: the food, the weather, the people.

The day that we left, I fell asleep on the beach, with the sun on my face, and the voices of Frenchies around me. Truly, music to my ears.

No comments: