Thursday, February 8, 2007

Photography Study: David Zugmann

(Zugmann)
(Imitation)
(Zugmann)
(Imitation)
In analyzing David Zugmann's photographs, I found that he focused on a layering of light and shadows from the foreground to the background. Zugmann typically views photography not as a method of documentation but as a way to reveal a new and unexpected element of the subject matter.
In my attempts to emulate Zugmann's style I began to pay more attention to the effects of natural light and the contrast it creates in the picture frame. I also looked to use lighting in a more sensitive manner with a conscious effort to find more ambient lighting situations. I found that zooming in to a more detailed shot of the subject was more effective in trying to emulate Zugmann's style as I was more in control of the frame and the subject became a focused study rather than a random, documentary picture.

Sarah Wade

No comments: